Friday, March 22, 2013

Remember - Five Minute Friday

It's Friday again, time to get my prompt from Lisa Jo Baker and her Five Minute Friday challenge. She posts a word just after midnight Eastern time and a whole bunch of us write in response for five minutes.  We're supposed to write freely, without editing, backtracking, or overthinking. This week's prompt was "Remember," so I did!



Sometimes I have a moment that I know I must remember.

Two years ago, I sat on a front porch step in the middle of the night, looking at the moon. I saw a cloud pass in front of the moon, but the moon was still visible, still shining, and the ambient light barely changed.

"Remember."

I needed to remember that I could choose to look at the cloud or choose to look at the moon. I could choose to focus on darkness or on on light.

I needed to remember that darkness cannot overcome light, but light can overcome darkness. I'm not talking about just spiritual stuff here. This is physics. Light is. It goes and goes. It can't be erased or stopped. It can be bent and redirected and focused and diverted, but it is not overcome. You can't stuff it into a too-small box and deprive it of air        and expect it to stop being what it is.

I needed to remember that there would be clouds in my life, but I could choose to see beyond them.

I needed to remember that full moon making a black world silver-white and remember to look for joy to light my nights and days.

So it's two years later now, and sure enough, clouds have come and gone and come again, in different ways at different times. Weather changes, clouds move, life goes on. Just now, right at this moment, it's feeling pretty overcast here. But I won't give up.

I remember.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful and so well said. I reminder I definitely needed today - thank you!

    Stopping by from Five Minute Friday!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Beth. Glad my remembering reminded you, too.

      Delete
  2. Love this so much! I needed this reminder today. Thank you, precious one!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of light, and I also loved your words about choosing. A much needed reminder - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops - didn't mean to comment twice - didn't scroll up to see my comment was already there! Thought I had forgotten to hit publish or something yesterday. I must need a nap! :)

      Delete