Friday, March 1, 2013

Ordinary - Five Minute Friday


Ordinary. Brushing teeth, taking a shower, making lunch. Everyday things.

I cherish ordinary moments. My life is made of moments - I realized that long ago - and I don't wish to waste any of them. So to the best of my ability I pay attention to them. I pay attention now, not later, looking back wishing the moments had been different. I pay attention to the beauty in the ordinary things of life, pay attention to the joy of being, pay attention to my companions on this incredible once-in-a-lifetime journey.

I'm not a picture-taker, though. Pictures of ordinary aren't really that much to look at. Living the ordinary, though? That's an adventure. Talking about conflicting theologies while making Greek salad. Watching a child figure out how to tie shoelaces. Seeing how many birds can sit on the feeder. Listening to a loved one's breathing at rest.

Ordinary.

I, for one, would be lost without it.

2 comments:

  1. Such wise words - to "pay attention now, not later". Especially in appreciating the everyday'ness of every day. Visiting from 5MinFri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much. We really are one in the same. I however am most definitely a picture taker. I love capturing ordinary moments. It helps me to remember things I would otherwise all too quickly forget. You are absolutely a blessing in my life. I hope your weekend is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete